Post-workout meal replenishes muscle glycogen stores lost during physical activity, which is responsible for muscle growth and proper functioning. What should the ideal post-workout meal look like on weight gain or on weight reduction? We suggest!
Why you should never skip the post-workout meal? It is related to the fact that right after the end of exercise, during the anabolic window, the body needs fuel in the form of food. A well composed post-workout meal is a proven way to achieve the desired results. Without it, muscles start to sag and lose their firmness and strength, and the nervous system has no chance to regenerate.
Each post-workout meal should contain protein and carbohydrates. The first of these macronutrients is the basic building block of muscles and aids in regeneration, the second – gives the body the energy it needs to build them.
– Regardless of whether you train in the morning or in the evening, it is essential to eat a well balanced meal. The following rules should be followed when composing your meal after evening physical activity:
– The post-workout meal should not contain saturated fats.
– Instead of frying, the ingredients should be boiled or baked.
– The post-workout meal should consist of simple carbohydrates such as pasta, rice or vegetables. They digest quickly, do not burden the stomach and guarantee a healthy, restful sleep.
– Complex carbohydrates work best in the first part of the day because they release energy long and steadily.
– Post-workout meal should be eaten about 2-3 hours before bedtime.
When training at a very late hour, it is best to consume a meal in the form of a liquid, such as a shake or cream soup. They are quickly digested without burdening the stomach.
What if we do not manage to eat a post-workout meal? This will lead to muscle catabolism. What’s more, it will also translate into slower metabolism, weaker body and loss of micro- and macroelements.
Strength trainers who want to increase their muscle mass should take an appropriate dose of simple carbohydrates, preferably in liquid form, right after the workout. This is because such a meal allows for immediate absorption of nutrients without worrying about the stomach load. If you do not have such an opportunity, you can eat a banana, which contains a large amount of simple carbohydrates.
What is worth remembering when composing a post-workout meal on reduction? It is not necessary here to consume carbohydrates immediately after the end of physical activity. Instead, it is recommended to eat a full protein and carbohydrate meal immediately after exercise. The proportions here should be adjusted to the desired effects. Carbohydrates consumed immediately after physical activity will not translate into an increase in body fat. Instead, they will go to the muscles. People who are on strength reduction after training can without fear eat a decent meal containing carbohydrates.
If you want to lose weight, the best solution is a post-workout meal eaten about 30 minutes after the workout. It is advisable for it to contain spices to boost your metabolism, such as chili, pepper, turmeric, ginger, garlic. You should be aware of the fact that the process of losing kilograms starts only when you are on a negative calorie balance. Consequently – the priority here is to burn more calories than are taken in.
Featured photo: Ruaridh Connellan / Barcroft Media / Barcroft Media via Getty Images